Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Exit 88 GS Parkway - Lakehurst Jesus








Lakehurst is best known for the Hindenburg disaster in 1937. The tragedy effectively ended the age of the zeppelin. Ironically, the Hindenburg actually exploded, not over Lakehurst, but in nearby Manchester.

It is in here in Lakehurst where I found Jesus: Jesus of the Pine Barrens.

Warning. If you live in North or Central Jersey or any place else on the planet, the following photos may shock you. [These pictures were taken of the sanctuary in a small church attended by senior citizens.]
The Jesus Hand


The Lost Souls Hands


Dang. It’s a 30 foot 3-D mural depicting the hand of Jesus reaching out for the lost in the stormy sea. I am having a 1967 Chiller Theatre flashback. That television show opened with a creepy claymation hand coming up out of dirt. I suppose the Jesus hand is intended to be a comforting life preserver for all humanity. It looks like creepy claymation to me.

But that small congregation of seniors sure loves Jesus. When the pastor asked for anyone involved in the children’s Vacation Bible School program to stand, everyone, I mean the entire congregation, stood. While there’s not a single person under 75 years of age at this church and definitely no children, these folk have their priorities in order, ready to tell the young ones of the hidden things.

Luke 10: At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.

3 comments:

donsands said...

Nice post. Inspiring really.

Thanks for stoppin' by.

May the Lord's awesome love, power, and wisdom continue to fill your heart with joy, strengthen you, and enlighten you, so that you grow closer and closer to our wonderful Savior and Friend, Jesus Christ, the Lord of heaven and earth. Amen. Ane I pray this for me too. Amen.

Anonymous said...

I see you are speaking of my neck of the woods....where are those boards at with jesus hands? I have not seen them before. I actually like them very much....there are so many reaching out from their stormy lives...and it's only Jesus that is gonna be able to reach down because the people around are afraid of the water.

Anonymous said...

Amen! I totally agree