Sunday, October 26, 2008

Exit 151 GSP Montclair Jesus



Montclair NJ, a wonderful place to live and dine where every other home has a lawn placard for Obama-Biden.  In this ultra liberal tree-lined town, one wouldn’t expect Jesus to be a big seller on….Halloween.  Guess again. 

 A stop in the local Pharmacy on Grove Street one could find Jesus hair and beard in Grey, White and Blonde.   Take your pick.  This town does pride itself on diversity. I couldn’t figure out though why the description as a Jesus beard was only written in Spanish.  Talk about target marketing. 
 

Just when I was pleasantly surprise to find an incarnation of Jesus here (more so than in some of the local churches), a few counters away were some disturbing little Halloween statues.  Is that a little goblin trying to constrain the cross in a glass dome?   What are those skulls and why are they near a glass domed cross?  (Footnote:  it didn’t snow when I shook the globe).   I asked the sales clerk but he just shrugged his shoulders and said, “It’s Halloween, ya know.”  


Mark 15:22
They brought Jesus to the place called Golgotha (which means The Place of the Skull).

4 comments:

Gigi said...

Wow...where DO you find this stuff!! Creepy, just creepy...Halloween or not!

NewJerseyJesus said...

Gigi, I promise, just for you, I will have a totally uplifting Jesus in New Jersey next week!

Caleb Henry said...

Haha, those Jesus beards are crazy. I personally have never seen someone go as Jesus for Halloween.

Gigi said...

NJJ ~ just so you know...I look forward to each new post on your blog! I am absolutely FASCINATED by what you find up there in NJ!! Who knew?? And I agree with the other poster - those Jesus beards did crack me up! And I've never seen a "Jesus trick or treater" either!